Friday, January 14, 2011

Internship post 4: Friday, January 14 2011

7. What lessons or experiences at you internship will you bring back to school to help you to further improve in your academics?

I think of one the more obvious things that I will be taking back to school from my internship is the research I've done. I spent the first week or so, doing research on things that related to biology and I think that will really help me get ahead or at least better understand what I will be doing in biology this coming semester.

Along with just the simple facts I picked up, the time spent researching really sparked my interest in life sciences. I was supposed to spend time looking at plants, but I also took a look at how it connects to people in terms of it's uses and how they can also connect to the animals. I spent a lot of that time exploring threads from one thing that lead to something completely different and I would catch something interesting and then go off and look at that. So I think it's opened my mind to some new things, as where before I would just try to stick to my strengths rather than explore.

Lastly, one of the most important lessons is about presentation and how it applies to everything. In prior school assignments I would worry about the aesthetics of something last because I did not find them to be important. I thought as long as something achieved it's primary purpose then it was okay in my book. Now when I started at the zoo I was thinking only about the animals there. After researching and spending some time looking at the exhibits and trying to ignore the animals, I figured without all the greenery it was just animals in cages.

No comments:

Post a Comment